Recipe by Kozmic Blues
I often use vegetarian crumbles as a replacement for recipes that call for ground beef. This is my attempt to mimic the meat sauce my mother's mother would make for her lasagna and ziti. This tomato sauce is really easy to put together, and can be used with ANY pasta. (I just happen to have a weakness for cheese ravioli!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups vegetarian ground beef, frozen (2 pouches of the Boca brand)
- salt and pepper
- 1 (26 ounce) jar tomato sauce & mushrooms
- 1 lb cheese ravioli
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook ravioli in boiling salted water for 6-7 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat olive oil over medium heat, and sauté onions and garlic and crushed red pepper until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, and meatless crumbles and sauté another 5-6 minutes more. The crumbles should be thawed, and get a little color on them as they mix with the garlic and onions.
- If the pan seems to get dry, add 1/4 cup of water so the crumbles don't stick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, add the jar of tomato sauce and mix together.
- Cover with a lid, and let simmer on low for another 10 minutes.
- Toss sauce with cooked ravioli, and serve with grated cheese.