Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
My kids and their friends love this. We serve this regularly at our house.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg, beaten
- toast points
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese, salt, dry mustard, and paprika.
- Gradually stir approx one-fourth of hot mixture into beaten egg; add to remaining hot mixture.
- Cook mixture over low heat 1 minute.
- Serve over toast points.
Wow!! Major comfort food at our house. We had this last week for a quick and easy supper. A complete hands down hit with me and the whole family. The cheese sauce is very rich and creamy, I could eat it right out of the pot. Thanks Nurse Di for another winner.
I was so glad to find this recipe. My mom used to make this for my brother and me when we would have a snow day and get to stay home from school. This tasted so good. Very rich and cheesy as expected. My husband and I thought it was excellent and will be making this regularly. Thanks.
very good! just the recipe i was looking for, for a light lunch. my boyfriend suggested that it would be even better tonight over brocolli! cant wait to try it.