Recipe by AmyZoe
This is straight out of Joy of Cooking. My sister and I whipped this puppy up for a late-night holiday treat. We made an oil crust right in the pie pan which makes it simple. Don't be afraid of the nutmeg. it adds great flavor, but it isn't enough to make your quiche taste like a pumpkin pie. DELICIOUS!
Top Review by Susie B
We were looking for a quiche recipe to put on our menu at work. I made the quiche and brought it to work for people to try. Everyone loved the quiche and gave it rave reviews. I used 1/2 cup of asiago cheese, 1/2 cup of cheddar and 1/2 cup of swiss cheese. The asiago added a nice flavor to the quiche. People even asked for the recipe so they can make it at home. Thanks!!
- 9 inches pie shells
- 1 beaten egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 small onion, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 and bake pie shell until done.
- While the pie shell is still warm, brush the baked pie crust with the beaten egg yolk.
- Sprinkle the crust with cheese.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients in medium bowl until no streaks of egg white remain.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the cheese in the pastry shell.
- Bake until the filling is puffed around the sides and a knife inserted in center comes out clean (30 to 40 minutes).
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.