Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious appetizer that withstands the test of time. From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut 2 inch rounds from the bread slices and toast under the broiler until golden, one side only (take care as it scorches easily).
- Spread with butter on the untoasted side.
- Lightly beat the egg yolk and whip the white to stiff peaks.
- Mix cheese, baking powder, salt and beaten egg yolk; fold in egg white.
- Spread mixture thickly on buttered side of bread; place on cookie sheet close together.
- Place under preheated broiler until puffed and light brown.