Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Barefoot in Paris, 2004.
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch fresh nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon water, for egg wash
- grated gruyere cheese, sprinkling to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In saucepan, heat the milk, butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg over medium heat, until scalded.
- Add the flour all at once and beat it vigorously with wooden spoon until the mixture comes together.
- Cook stirring constantly, over low heat for 2 minutes. The flour will begin to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Dump the hot mixture into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Immediately add the eggs, Guyere, and Parmesan and pulse until the eggs are incorporated and the dough is smooth and thick.
- Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain round tip. Pipe in mounds 1-1/4" wide and 3/4" high onto the baking sheets. With a wet finger, lightly press down the swirl at the top of each puff.
- Use 2 spoons to scoop out the mixture and shape the puffs with damp fingers.
- Brush the top of each puff lighlty with egg wash and sprinkle with a pinch of Guyere.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown outside but still soft inside.