Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I found this recipe in a cookbook called "The Usborne Children's World Cookbook" and so it's very simple and I've found it to be quite a hit.
- 115 g grated strong cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 150 ml double cream
- 2 medium potatoes or 2 large potatoes
- 30 g butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 large onion
- Preheat oven to 350°F Peel the potatoes and slice thinly.
- Slice the onion thinly. Melt the butter in a frying pan over low heat and cook onion till slightly soft.
- Butter a baking dish and spread a layer of potatoes on the bottom, spoon some onions on top.
- Add salt and pepper, then sprinkle with cheese. Carry on layering potatoes, onions, cheese, finishing with potatoes.
- Beat the egg into the cream with a fork or whisk. Pour it over the potatoes and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake the potatoes for about 1 1/2 hours. Test them with a knife to check that they are cooked all the way through.
These were really good, the only thing I did different was added a layer of real bacon bits over the onions. I didn't like how the egg/cream mixture went to the bottom of the pan and didn't really secure around the potatoes. When I make these again I will stir them up before serving. They were really good though...