Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my grandmother's recipe which was past on to me by my mom.
Make and share this Cheese Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup soft butter (about 200g) or 1 cup margarine (about 200g)
- 2 1⁄2 cups self rising flour
- 8 ounces nonfat sour cream or 8 ounces yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb crumbled feta or 1⁄2 lb bulgarian cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated edam cheese (any other cheese you have inn the house) or 1⁄2 cup another hard cheese (any other cheese you have inn the house)
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- 2 -3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt (optional)
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- black pepper
- prepare dough by mixing ingredients together by hand until well blended.
- refrigerate until filling is ready.
- Cook the green onion in the butter/margarine over low heat until just cooked, and let cool at room temperature.
- place the cheeses, cream cheese, sour cream and milk in a food processor.
- pulse until blended.
- The mixture does not need to reach a totally creamy consistency.
- Mix in 2- 3 eggs depending on how thick you want the filling to be.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- flatten out 2/3 of the dough in a 9X13 inch pan, and preheat oven to 350.
- Pour filling into pan over crust.
- roll the remaining dough between your palms into strips and lay over the filling back and forth (make a lattice pattern).
- Top with parmesan, sesame seeds and black pepper.
- Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly puffy.
The people in my department had a birthday party for me today, and this was my contribution. I made the crust and filling and refrigerated them separately overnight. I decided to leave the onions out, but will try this again with them. I also was nervous about the crust, but it turned out great. It did stick a little, but that was no big deal. Everyone loved it! Will definitely make again. Thanks for the posting, Mizzy!
This is delicious! Tastes much like a quiche. This was a new experience for me working with a dough like this; I wasn't sure if I was doing it right but it baked up nicely and tastes great. I added the onion to the filling without cooking it first and also added a few Tbsp chopped green chiles I needed to use up. I used light cream cheese & sour cream not nonfat; also used milk and 3 eggs. I found this recipe looking for a use for some leftover edam and I'm very glad I found it! Thanks for posting Mizzy!