I have a good friend whose family comes from Syria, and they make this almost every week for Saturday night supper. It's very comfort-foody.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (190 C).
- 2Lightly brush a 10 or 11 inch round baking dish with the butter.
- 3Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan.
- 4Add the flour and stir until bubbly (2 to 3 minutes).
- 5Stir in the milk and simmer, stirring, until thickened.
- 6Add the Muenster cheese, yogurt, eggs, salt and pepper and stir over very low heat until smooth.
- 7Line the prepared dish with a sheet of phyllo, folding excess over top.
- 8Brush with butter.
- 9Repeat with the second phyllo sheet.
- 10Spread with about 3/4 cup cheese mixture.
- 11Top 2 additional phyllo sheets, brushing with butter.
- 12Repeat layering with remaining cheese mixture and phyllo, ending with phyllo sheets.
- 13Place in the refrigerator for several minutes to firm, then cut into squares (The pie may be prepared ahead to this point and frozen).
- 14Bake until golden brown (about 40 minutes).
- 15Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Phyllo Pie
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.7
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 130.7 mg
- Sodium 479.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 9.5 g