1/1 Photo of Cheese, Pesto and Sun-Dried Tomato Torta
7 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I make this for a potlucks or parties, so often I assemble a tiny one in a mini-loaf pan for the two of us. If there are any leftovers, they go great on bagels. I sometimes take small disposable containers so people can take some home with them. If you want to use pre-made pesto, 3/4-1 cup should be enough for this dish. I usually serve it with assorted crackers, but it goes well on toasted baguette slices and mini-bagels too. It takes awhile to assemble, but cooking time is simply chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/3 cup walnuts or 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese or 3 (8 ounce) packages neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/3 cups sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained (or the same amount of reconstituted dried tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Finely chop garlic cloves in food processor; add basil, nuts, oil and lemon juice; Process until well blended; Add 1/3c cream cheese, all of parmesan cheese, and pulse until just blended; turn into a medium bowl and set aside.
- 2Coarsely chop tomatoes in food processor; add tomato paste and blend until mixture is almost smooth; add 1/3c cream cheese and blend well; transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, mix remaining softened cream cheese and butter until fluffy; season with salt and pepper.
- 4Spray 6c straight sided dish (such as a souffle dish or springform pan) with non-stick pan spray, line with plastic wrap (I line pan with at least two layers of it) allowing wrap to drape over the sides.
- 5Without worrying about keeping the layers perfect, spread 3/4c cream cheese/butter mixture evenly over prepared dish with a spoon dipped in hot water; top with half of the tomato mixture, then 1/2c of cream cheese mixture, then half the pesto mixture.
- 6Repeat layering with 1/2c cream cheese mixture, remaining tomato mixture, 1/2c cream cheese mixture, remaining pesto, then remaining cream cheese mixture; Cover and chill 6hrs or overnight.
- 7Invert torta onto serving platter, carefully peel away plastic wrap, and serve.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese, Pesto and Sun-Dried Tomato Torta
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.2
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 51.0 mg
- Sodium 213.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 4.2 g