Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yet another Indian restaurant staple, this recipe of sweet green peas combined with protein-rich paneer is a substantially satiating side dish. Paneer is an Indian cheese that you can make yourself at home. I use Homemade Paneer (Panir - Indian Cheese). Recipe courtesy Betty Crocker's Indian Home Cooking.
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 large tomatoes, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 16 ounces frozen green peas
- 2 cups paneer cheese (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Heat butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds; sizzle 15-30 seconds.
- Add onion and ginger; stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until onion is golden brown.
- Stir in tomato and cilantro. Cook 1-2 minutes or until tomato is softened.
- Stir in salt, ground red pepper and garam masala. Cook 1 minute.
- Stir in frozen peas, paneer and water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until peas are tender and sauce thickens slightly.