Recipe by BarbryT
The best cheese wafers on earth...in my humble opinion. :-) I ALWAYS make a double batch. Everyone loves them; you can’t make too many!
Top Review by Trinkets
Barbry, These are scrumpt-delicious! I made them last night as an appetizer for some guests who popped over for a soup/salad dinner in la cucina and it was a huge hit...all gone! I'll have to make more tonight. This time I'll add cayenne. I read Dreamer's review and tested 2 different thickess measures and we prefer the thicker ones. The last batch I dusted with Creole seasonings before brushing with the eggwash and that was good, too. Thanks for a great app recipe! **This was saved in my Top 2008 Recipes CookBook!
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, well chilled
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Stir together the flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Put in food processor, add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add and process with both grated cheeses.
- Sprinkle cream over mixture and process until you have a smooth dough. (You may knead it by hand a bit.)
- Put glob on waxed paper, press to form a disk, wrap in the waxed paper and chill for about an hour.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured pastry cloth, until it is a thickness of a little less than ¼ inch.
- Cut into small or medium circles or strips.
- Arrange them on ungreased cookie sheets; then brush with the beaten egg/water mixture.
- Bake in preheated 325 degrees F oven for 12-14 minutes. (Or until they are puffed and slightly brown on top.).