Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from a neighbor many years ago. It's great for a crowd as it makes a lot! You can use any small pasta shape you have on hand. Definitely a yummy, indulgent treat.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (your favorite)
- 1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 (3 ounce) canssliced broiled mushrooms
- 8 ounces shell macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 pints sour cream
- 1⁄2 lb sliced provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mozzarella cheese
- .Cook ground beef in a large,deep pan until brown, stirring to break up meat. Drain off excess fat.
- Add onions, garlic, spaghetti sauce, stewed tomatoes and undrained mushrooms; mix well. Simmer 20 minutes until onions are soft.
- Meanwhile cook macaroni shells until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water.
- Pour half the shells into a deep casserole. Cover with half the tomato-meat sauce. Spread half the sour cream over sauce. Top with slices of provolone cheese.
- Repeat, ending with slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove cover; continue baking until mozzarella melts and browns slightly.
- Serves 8.