Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Ideal as canapes for a drinks party these little phyllo parcels are filled with two different cheesey fillings!
- 14 ounces phyllo pastry (or 20 pieces)
- 5 1⁄2 ounces soft cheese
- 8 ounces Baby Spinach, wilted
- 9 ounces butter, melted
- 0.5 (9 ounce) camembert cheese
- 5 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- Divide the sheets of phyllo pastry in half so that they measure approximately 4-6in.
- Make the parcels one by one, keeping the rest of the pastry under a lightly dampened cloth so that it does not dry out.
- Blend together the wilted spinach leaves and soft cheese in a food processor until you have a smooth mixture.
- Brush your first sheet of pastry with melted butter, fold in half, brush the surface with butter, turn over and brush the other side with butter as well.
- Cut the piece of pastry in half and place about a tsp of the spinach and soft cheese mixture in the centre.
- Now gather up the sides of the pastry and gather them at the top, squeezing them together so that they form a money purse shape. Place on a greaseproof tray.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the soft cheese and spinach, you should be able to make 20 of them. Place in the fridge.
- With the remaining 20 sheets, make them in exactly the same way, substituting the soft cheese and spinach for a small cube of camembert, ½ tsp of cranberry sauce and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. Place in the fridge to set for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the sunflower oil to about 350F and begin cooking the parcels, 4-5 at a time, for 2-3 minutes per batch until they are crisp and golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on lots of kitchen paper until they are cool enough to eat.