Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cheesecakelets Recipe courtesy Nigella Lawson. Show: Nigella Feasts. Episode: Breakfast All Hours
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped into quarters
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon best-quality vanilla extract
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- Put the strawberries into a bowl and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and sugar. Stir before covering with plastic wrap and leaving to steep while you make the cheesecakelets.
- Mix the egg yolks with the sugar, beating well. Add the vanilla, cottage cheese, and flour. Then, in another bowl, whisk the whites until frothy with a hand whisk and fold into the cottage cheese mixture.
- Heat a smooth griddle or nonstick skillet and dollop the batter onto it make cakelets of about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Each cheesecakelet will take a minute or so to firm up underneath, then you should flip it and cook the other side, and remove to a warmed plate when ready.
- Turn the strawberries in the ruby syrup they've made and squish some pieces with a fork at the same time. Serve with the hot cheesecakelets.
This was a good and fairly quick recipe to make. I have repeated it with blueberries and honey as a topping with fair results.