Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
A rich side-dish. Also good over baked potatoes and other vegetables.
Make and share this Cheese Onions recipe from Food.com.
- Slice onions lengthwise, then boil in salted water until tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- (If you're going to use it as a topping, roughly chop the onions instead of slicing them lengthwise.) In the top of a double boiler over water, melt butter and blend in flour and salt.
- Add milk, stirring until thick and bubbly.
- Add minced garlic and cheese and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted.
- Add cooked onions and heat.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serves 4 to 6.
Yowza! I used this as a filling for blintzes yesterday, and it was dreamy, creamy and delicious. I had some ready-made blintz leaves just sitting in the freezer, filled them with the cheesy onions, fried them and served some onions as a topping. Served them with some Israeli salad, crusty bread with lots of butter. Comfort food with a capital C. Thanks Steingrim, you've just upped my repetoire up another notch!
Oh yum! I love these! :) They're great as a rich side dish, or as a steak topper (add a bit of crab to make it extra special). I haven't tried them as a blintz filler - that'll be next!
Love onions - reviews sounded great - REALLY dissapointed!!! Nice sauce, but no pizazze, just a cheese sauce with onions. This one is off our list.