Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Hot and cheesy, this comfort food comes from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk, hot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 lb cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 3 eggs, separated
- Blend butter and flour in a pan; add hot milk gradually and cook for five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add salt and pepper and grated cheese, stirring quickly to melt the cheese.
- Cool; add well beaten egg yolks.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into a greased baking dish, place in a pan of hot water and bake at 350F for 50 to 60 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Serve at once.