1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
from food preservation yahoo group. Here's a clone recipe that gets one very important ingredient from another packaged product. The powdered cheese included in the Kraft instant macaroni & cheese kits flavors this homegrown version of the popular bright orange crackers. You'll need a can of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Cheese Topping or two boxes of the most inexpensive instant variety of macaroni & cheese; you know, the kind with the cheese powder. Two boxes will give you enough cheese to make 300 crackers. As for the macaroni left over in the box, just use that for another recipe requiring elbow macaroni.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift together 1 cup flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cheese powder in a large bowl.
- 2Cut in the shortening with a fork and knife with a crosswise motion until dough is broken down into rice size pieces. Mixture will still be very dry.
- 3Stir in buttermilk with a fork until dough becomes very moist and sticky.
- 4Sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the reserved flour over the dough and work it in until the dough can be handled without sticking, then turn it out onto a floured board, being sure to keep 1/4 cup of the reserve flour for later.
- 5Knead the dough well for 60 to 90 seconds, until the flour is well incorporated. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
- 6Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a light coating of cooking spray on a baking sheet.
- 7Remove the dough from the refrigerator and use the remaining reserve flour to dust a rolling surface.
- 8Roll about one third of the dough to just under 1/16 th of inch thick. Trim the edges square (a pizza cutter or wheel works great for this), then transfer the dough to a lightly greased baking sheet. Use the rolling pin to transfer the dough. Simply pick up one end of the dough onto a rolling pin, and roll the dough around the rolling pin. Reverse the process onto the baking sheet to transfer the dough.
- 9Use a pizza cutter to cut across and down the dough, creating 1 inch square pieces. Use the blunt end of a skewer or broken toothpick to poke a hole in the center of each piece.
- 10Sprinkle a very light coating of salt over the top of the crackers (crackers will already be quite salty) and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 11Mix the crackers around (so those on the edge don't burn) and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until some are just barely turning a light brown. Repeat the rolling and baking process with the remaining dough.
- 12Makes approximately 300 crackers.
- 13Note - Prep time includes resting/refrigeration time.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Nips Copycat
Serving Size: 1 (3 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 75
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 11.0
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
macaroni and cheese powdered topping