Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I'm going to try this for our Superbowl party.
FOR THE MUSHROOMS
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
FOR THE BREAD
- 1 unsliced loaf sourdough bread
- 12 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced green onion
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- For the Mushrooms.
- Heat a medium skillet on medium. Add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the mushrooms. Cook 4-5 minutes until they start to sweat. Add the thyme and continue to cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Set mushrooms aside and allow to cool.
- For the Bread.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the bread lengthwise and widthwise without cutting through the bottom crust. This can be a little tricky going the second way but the bread is very forgiving.
- Place loaf on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Insert cheese slices between cuts. Pour the mushrooms between the cuts. Use your fingers to push the mushrooms down into the loaf.
- Combine butter, onion, and poppy seeds. Drizzle over bread. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap the bread and bake 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.