Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is Serbian national food. We usually serve proja hot or cold with yogurt. There is one more way to make this meal--instead of 1 cup of cheese put 1 cup of ground spinach.
- 5 eggs
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons grits, corn (top full,You also can put cornmeal instead of corn grits)
- 9 tablespoons all-purpose flour (top full)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 200 ml yogurt
- 200 ml oil
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- Mix eggs, yogurt and oil in big bowl.
- In another bowl, mix flour, corn grits, baking powder and salt.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients and finally add cheese.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake 30-35 minutes at 480°F (250°C).
These are simply awesome, I have made them now 5 or 6 times and have started experimenting, I withhold 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and put in 1/4 cup crumbled feta, I cook them in a pre heated cast iron biscuit pan with a little oil in the bottom and these are out of this world. We have been serving the left overs the next morning warmed up and cut open to resemble sandwich flat bread and putting a slice of fresh ripe tomato and eating like a sandwich. Will have to try with the spinach next.
I used cornmeal instead of grits. I will make this recipe again. I have never used cottage cheese in making muffins but they were good. Thanks for posting Ivana!
These are really, really good. I used cornmeal instead of grits; otherwise, I followed the recipe closely. I couldn't stop eating them. Thanks, Chef Ivana!