Recipe by Cecily Parsley
This appears to have come from a magazine in the early 1980's. Of of many clippings from my collection.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon finely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped red and green pistachios
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- With an electric mixer, cream butter. Stir in grated cheeses. In separate bowl, mix flour, cayenne and salt. Add cheese mixture and mix well. Knead a few times on lightly floured board, Divide in four.
- Roll one piece out to about 1/8" thick (be sure there is enough flour to release dough from surface). Cut out shapes and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Shapes may be moons or stars or whatever festive cookie cutters you may have. When cookie sheet is full, brush each shape with egg, then sprinkle with chopped walnuts (or chopped red and green pistachios, for colour).
- Bake in preheated 375° oven for about 8 minutes or until golden brown. Warm them ina moderate oven before serving.
- Note: I'd personally use more than the stingy 1/2 tablespoons chopped nuts.