Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
This vegetarian cornbread is very moist from the creamed corn and nice and flavorful from the cheese and spice. If using non hydrogenated margarine, use a little less than 1/4 cup because of the higher moisture content.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal (or white or blue cornmeal)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 1% fat buttermilk
- 1 (224 g) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (112 g) can green chilies, chopped, well drained
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup low-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded or 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 230C (450F). Grease bottom and sides of a 8x8 inch or 9x9 inch square pan, or a 22 or 23 cm or 25 cm oven proof skillet.
- Mix all ingredients; Beat vigorously 30 sec; pour batter into pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes (skillet about 20 min) or until golden brown. Serve warm.