Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This vegetarian cornbread is very moist from the creamed corn and nice and flavorful from the cheese and spice. If using non hydrogenated margarine, use a little less than 1/4 cup because of the higher moisture content.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal (or white or blue cornmeal)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 1% fat buttermilk
- 1 (224 g) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (112 g) can green chilies, chopped, well drained
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup low-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded or 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Heat oven to 230C (450F). Grease bottom and sides of a 8x8 inch or 9x9 inch square pan, or a 22 or 23 cm or 25 cm oven proof skillet.
- Mix all ingredients; Beat vigorously 30 sec; pour batter into pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes (skillet about 20 min) or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Made this to go with a beef stew. PERFECT! Use some taco seasoning mix and Monterey Jack. DELICIOUS! Made for Photo Swap #7.