Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Africa, a great cheesy appetizer or snack.
Make and share this Cheese Mantecaos recipe from Food.com.
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds, lightly toasted in a dry skillet until fragrant
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a food processor put the butter, cheese, flour, egg, salt, cayenne, and cumin.
- Pulse just until mixture resembles coarse meal; don't over-process.
- Form the mixture into 1 inch balls and place on a lightly greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Flatten each ball slightly with your fingers.
- Bake until the pastries puff and are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack and garnish with the paprika.