Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
On Chanukah, it is traditional to eat fried foods, in commemoration of the oil which miraculously lasted eight days. These can also be eaten on Shavuot, when it is traditional to eat dairy foods. The recipe comes from Cardiff United Synagogue, in Wales.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup full-fat cottage cheese, drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Stir all ingredients together until smooth.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a large skillet. When shimmering, add batter to pan by large spoonfulls, patting out into a thick pancake. Fry 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Continue frying pancakes until batter is all used up.
- Serve hot, with sour cream, apple sauce or maple syrup.