Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking hominy grits
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, grits, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg, buttermilk, butter, and hot pepper sauce.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Gently fold in 1 cup of the cheese and chives.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack for 3 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool.