Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cheesy delicious Grits....Southern Style!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup coarse ground cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place the milk, water, and salt into a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once the milk mixture comes to a boil, gradually add the cornmeal while continually whisking. Once all of the cornmeal has been incorporated, decrease the heat to low and cover. Remove lid and whisk frequently, every 3 to 4 minutes, to prevent grits from sticking or forming lumps; make sure to get into corners of pot when whisking. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is creamy.
- Remove from the heat, add the pepper and butter, and whisk to combine. Once the butter is melted, gradually whisk in the cheese a little at a time. Serve immediately.
This recipe is great! My brother said it was like macaroni and cheese, and I can see why he thought that. It would still be good with less cheese, maybe 3oz instead. Thank you
Nice and creamy grits. The directions are well written. I did reduce the recipe to serve 2 which was perfect. Served this with fresh baked biscuits and scrambled eggs. I think these would also be good with green chili added in. Made for *PAC Spring 2009*