Recipe by Chef PotPie
This was in the food section of our local newspaper. It sounds like a nice breakfast or brunch dish. It has all kinds of possibilities, too, like changing the type of cheese, bread, and meat. This is a make ahead dish, great for when you have overnight company. Time to make doesn't reflect overnight refrigeration. Let me know what you think!
Top Review by Colorado Lauralee
This was our familys Christmas morning breakfast, and it turned out very good! I did use my home roasted chilis rather than the canned, & made just half the recipe in a 8" square dish. Otherwise I followed the recipe. Thanks for a keeper!!!
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed, but first buttered with
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb bacon, fried crisp and crumbled (or use ham or shrimp)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cubed buttered bread in a 9X13 greased baking pan.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 of the cheese, all of the bacon, parsley and green chilies.
- Mix eggs, milk, onion and seasonings.
- Pour egg mixture over other ingredients and mix lightly with fork.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese on top.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, bake uncovered at 350*F for 45 minutes.