Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was in the food section of our local newspaper. It sounds like a nice breakfast or brunch dish. It has all kinds of possibilities, too, like changing the type of cheese, bread, and meat. This is a make ahead dish, great for when you have overnight company. Time to make doesn't reflect overnight refrigeration. Let me know what you think!
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed, but first buttered with
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb bacon, fried crisp and crumbled (or use ham or shrimp)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Place cubed buttered bread in a 9X13 greased baking pan.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 of the cheese, all of the bacon, parsley and green chilies.
- Mix eggs, milk, onion and seasonings.
- Pour egg mixture over other ingredients and mix lightly with fork.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese on top.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, bake uncovered at 350*F for 45 minutes.
This was our familys Christmas morning breakfast, and it turned out very good! I did use my home roasted chilis rather than the canned, & made just half the recipe in a 8" square dish. Otherwise I followed the recipe. Thanks for a keeper!!!
Fantastic recipe. I looked through EVERY strata recipe and settled on this one- it was perfect. Just perfect. Directions spot on- green chilies were great- and the entire family loved it. That's high praise, too- my dad is way too particular with food! He really enjoyed it- we all did. Thank you for sharing!
what a great side dich to some mex's flavored chicken.my family really enjoyed this thanks so much!!!!