Taken from NZ weekly site and attributed to Wendyl Nissen's Pantry. These call for 'tasty' cheese; a great sub would be cheddar. I love how the directions are written, BUT servings and yield are a guess, as I've not tried this recipe. Perfect with drinks, I think these sound amazing!
- Mix all ingredients together except the baking powder and frying fat.
- Add enough cold water to mix into a stiff batter. If it looks like porridge, it’s too liquid and the frizzles will flatten out in the frying pan. (If this happens, just add a bit more oatmeal. ).
- Melt the fat in the frying pan until it spits if you put a drop of water in it. Add the baking powder to the mix just before you are about to start cooking.
- Drop teaspoonfuls into the hot fat – they will bubble a bit like crumpets. Turn over and cook until golden on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels and serve on their own, or spread with fish or meat paste.