If you ever have the opportunity to eat at the Training Table in Salt Lake City, ordering their famous Cheese Fries with Ultimate Dipping Sauce is a must! There is nothing complicated about the recipe; all you need is piping hot french fries, shredded cheddar cheese, a really good hickory flavoured BBQ sauce and mayo.
- Heat approximately 3 or 4 inches of oil in a deep fat fryer to 370 degrees F.
- While the oil is heating, peel potatoes and cut into strips using a French fry cutter.
- Place potato strips in ice water to remove excess starch.
- Completely dry potato strips using paper towels.
- Divide potatoes into two batches.
- Fry each batch in hot oil until golden brown; approximately 5 to 6 minutes/batch.
- While the French fries are cooking, make the Ultimate Dipping Sauce by pouring the mayonnaise on one side of a small serving bowl and the BBQ sauce on the other side of the serving bowl. DO NOT mix the mayonnaise and the BBQ sauce; mixing it with the French fries is part of the experience.
- Remove cooked fries with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Remove paper towel from plate.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on piping hot French fries.
- Serve immediately, but allow the cheese to melt before serving. You may want to place under the broiler for a minute - just until the cheese melts; DO NOT let the cheese bubble and crust over!
- Dip the cheese fries into the Ultimate Dipping Sauce making sure you get a little bit of mayonnaise and a little bit of the hickory flavoured BBQ sauce.