Recipe by Sharon123
Alex says the smell of this cooking will send people straight to the kitchen! This is a wonderful, rich dish that is such a treat, especially when company comes! Recipe adapted from Alex Guarnaschelli.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
No way I was cutting this one back, & the nibbling on the left-overs was almost as good as having it hot from the oven! Great tasting hash browns, & a recipe I'll be making again, for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe for such a delicious dish! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large idaho potatoes, washed, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick)
- 1 pinch paprika
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch scallion, halved and thinly sliced (green onions)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (or veg., chicken or beef broth)
- 1 small camembert cheese or 1 small brie cheese, rind trimmed off the bottom side
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil begins to smoke lightly, add the butter and the potatoes. Season with a pinch of paprika and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook, stirring from time to time, until they become tender but crispy, about 10 minutes. Add the onions and the wine. Season again with salt and pepper and increase the heat. The potatoes should eventually start to brown. Add more butter, if desired.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring from time to time, so the potatoes brown on all sides.
- Put the cheese in the middle of the skillet on top of everything and put the pan in the center of the oven. Bake until the cheese melts, about 8-10 minutes. The potatoes should be tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Remove from the oven and season again with salt, if neccesary. Move to a serving platter and serve immediately. Enjoy!