Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the cookbook, "The Lost Recipes" by Marion Cunningham.
- 12 ounces gruyere or 3 cups emmenthaler cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 3⁄4 cups dry white wine
- nutmeg, ground
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- Mix together the cheese and flour.
- Boil the garlic and wine together until the wine is reduced to three-quarters of the original amount.
- Strain into a 1 1/2 quart earthenware casserole.
- Discard the garlic.
- Place the casserole over the hot (not boiling) water.
- Add 1/4 cup of cheese at a time, stirring until each addition is completely mixed with the wine before adding another.
- When all the cheese has been blended in, add the salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Add the butter and cream and mix well. (If it becomes to thick, add a little more warm wine or cream.).