Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Cheese fondue printed from cooks.com
Top Review by Margie99
This was good stuff. I know its not a traditional fondue, more like a cheese sauce but it was really good anyway. I ended up adding some salt and garlic powder and used evaporated milk and skim-which is what I had.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk (whole, not skim)
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, sauté onion in butter with bouillon, stirring to dissolve; add flour. Whisk together until smooth.
- Cook stirring constantly, until butter and flour mixture bubbles and looks fluffy.
- Slowly whisk milk in; cook over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Add cheeses gradually and stir until melted. Keep warm while serving. A fondue pot is best.
- Things to dip in fondue include: French bread (cut or torn into bite-size chunks, day old bread is best), apple slices, carrot sticks, celery sticks, broccoli flowerettes, chunks of fried hot dog, cooked ham, Vienna sausage, etc. Use your imagination.