Prep 24 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is fun to do . And the little ones can get in on this . requires 7 clean 3 1/4 x 3 1/4-in.flowerpots. To season clay flowerpots,grease insides of each flowerpot thoroughly; place on baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for about 30 minutes; cool. Repeat 3 times. DO NOT WASH POTS ONCE THEY HAVE BEEN SEASONED .
- 1 cake yeast or 1 package yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 3 3⁄4-4 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- melted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- Soften yeast in water.
- Beat egg in mixing bowl; add sugar, salt and softened butter.
- Stir in milk gradually; cool until lukewarm.
- Add yeast and 1/2 of the flour; beat for 2 minutes with electric mixer at medium speed, scraping bowloccasionally.
- Add cheese and 1/2 cup flour;beat at high speed for 2 minutes,scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make stiff dough.
- Knead dough on floured surface for 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and satiny.
- Place in large buttered bowl; brush top with melted butter.
- Cover; let rise in warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down.
- Turn out onto board; cover.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 7 parts; shape each part into 4 balls.
- Cover hole in bottom of each seasoned flowerpot with aluminum foil.
- Place 1 ball in bottom of each flowerpot.
- Place remaining 3 balls on top;brush with melted butter.
- Cover; let rise in warm place for about 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water; brush on dough.
- Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 17 to 19 minutes.
- Remove from flowerpot;cool on wire racks.
- To season clay flowerpots, grease insides of each flowerpot thoroughly; place on baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for about 30 minutes; cool.
- Repeat 3 times.
- Do Not Wash Pots Once They Have Been Seasoned.