Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
recipe by Flo Braker. This is a cross between a custard and a cheesecake.
Make and share this Cheese Flan recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Melt the sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat and cook until it turns into a smooth dark amber caramel.
- Pour into the bottom of an 8-inch souffle dish or other round mold.
- Using the back of a knife, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add to a blender.
- Add the three milks, eggs, cream cheese and almond extract.
- Blend until smooth, then pour through a strainer into the caramel-lined mold.
- Set the mold into a larger baking pan and pour enough very hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the mold.
- Bake until the flan has set, 2 1/2-3 hours-- a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Let cool, then cover the mold and refrigerate overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, run a knife along the inside of the mold to loosen the flan.
- Pour about 1/2 inch of hot water in a pan large enough to hold the mold and set the mold in it for 10 minutes, so it will unmold more easily.
- Remove it from the water, wipe dry and place a shallow bowl or a small platter over the top.
- Invert the flan into the bowl, and serve.
This flan recipe is easy and fabulous. I use vanilla extract if I don't have vanilla bean and it still turns out great. I have made this for 3 Christmas Dinners. It has become a Christmas dinner tradition in our family.
I love the (123) easy way to make the desserts. I'm a new member and I did the recipe the same day I saw it. My family love it. Didn't last a day after they tried. Way to go*****