Recipe by CookingSandefer
I found this recipe in a cookbook from Machias, NY. They have an annual zucchini festival. If you like small town festivals with big flavor you will like this. You can use cottage cheese in place of ricotta.
Top Review by :)Shirl(:
This was a tastey way of using up zucchini. I did do some subs but feel that these subs did not alter the taste, but then again maybe they did. I did not have any ricotta and subbed in some cottage cheese and left out the speghetti sauce, none to be had. I also fixed them slightly different and had great success. I did not precook the zuchs, i just cut them in half and using a small spoon scraped and twisted out the seeds and middle to make a "boat". I then added the scraped out middle to the recipe after i chopped it roughly. Since the recipe did not call for the scrape out in the ingredients i added some additional cracker crumbs to absorb the moisture. I filled the "boats" and put them in a sprayed pan and poured in a tab of water to help cook my raw squash. I added the parmesean to the filling, covered and baked about 30 mins. Then uncovered and spread with cheddar cheese and finished baking until golden. YUMMY. I will fix this again and I will also fix it again using the speghetti sauce when i have it. Thank you chef CookingSandefer for posting a recipe that is very usable for the weed known as zucchini. Shirl
- 6 small zucchini
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded and separated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 quart spaghetti sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds as well as a little flesh. (Make it like a canoe.).
- Parboil in a large pan of salted water until tender-crisp. (Parboil means to boil for a very short period of time.).
- In the meantime mix together the ricotta, mozzarella, 1/4 C Parmesan, egg, parsley, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Fill the zucchini with the cheese mixture.
- Cover the bottom of a large casserole baking dish with a thin layer of spaghetti sauce. Arrange stuffed zucchini on top and pour remaining sauce over top. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minute
- Remove foil and sprinkle with 1/4 C Parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 more minutes.