24 hrs 30 mins
From Cooking at Home by The Culinary Institute of America: "Known as arancini, or "little oranges," in Italian, these little balls, with their surprise melted cheese filling, are an excellent way to turn leftover risotto into a delectable hors d'oeuvre. They're so good, you might be inspired to make a batch of risotto just to enjoy in this form."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups leftover cooked risotto rice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley or 2 tablespoons chives or 2 tablespoons oregano or 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 large egg yolk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese or 5 ounces Fontina cheese
- all-purpose flour (for dredging)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1In a large bowl, combine the risotto with the Parmesan, cream, herbs, and egg yolk. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2Cut the cheese into 16 cubes. Scoop up about 3 Tbsp of the risotto mixture and pack it around a cube of cheese to make a croquette, a ball the size of a Ping-Pong ball. Repeat to form 16 croquettes.
- 3Put the flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs in 3 separate bowls. Dredge the croquettes in the flour, dip in the egg wash, and roll in the bread crumbs. Chill thoroughly, 2-24 hours.
- 4Pour oil into a tall pot to a depth of 5 inches. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it registers 375°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Deep-fry the croquettes in batches, without crowding, until they are evenly browned, 4-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain briefly. Serve on a pool of warmed tomato sauce.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese-Filled Risotto Croquettes With Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.3
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 23.8 mg
- Sodium 279.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: