Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Piononos are the perfect finger food. These delicious plantain bites are battered, fried, and stuffed with cheese. They can also be stuffed with ground beef (picadillo). Recipe from about.com.
- 3 ripe plantains (yellow stage)
- 2⁄3 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Peel the plantains. Slice each one lengthwise into 4 equal slices.
- In a frying pan, lightly fry the slices on each side until slices are pliable, not brittle.
- Remove the slices and drain on paper towels until cool enough to handle.
- Form each slice into a ring, with ends overlapping about an inch. Secure with toothpicks.
- Stuff each ring with cheddar cheese. Squeeze the cheese together slightly so that it will not fall apart.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, salt, flour and water.
- Cover the open ends of the piononos with the flour and egg mix.
- Fry the piononos on each end until it is sealed and golden.
Great flavor! I made these while my wife and kids were out. Fairly simple and worth all the effort. If you like plantains and cheese you'll love these.
I am used to doing the steps in this recipe including rolling up. Then the step to stuffing with cheese and then coating with a flour and egg batter is new. Outstanding recipe! I made two batches, this recipe and my way which I plan to post. Would I make again? Yes I will! This is excellent served with fish or as an appetizer. I am used to frying ripe plantains in olive oil,then sprinkling with a little salt and powdered sugar.