Recipe by bmxmama
I'm not sure where I got this recipe, but it's darn good!Times for cooking are just an estimate. This is a copy cat recipe as far as I know...
Top Review by lauralie41
I didnt notice when tagging this recipe for PAC 2007 that the cream and the amount were missing from the ingredient list. Didnt have any heavy cream in the refrigerator so I searched Alfredo Sauces and found recipe #12365 that used skim milk and flour so I used those ingredients to replace the missing heavy cream. It worked out well and DH loved it! Used fresh parsley and regular fettucini since DH doesnt care for spinach. I did have a lighter tasting sauce than if I would have used the cream and next time will give it a try with the cream since this is now my DH's favorite recipe, Thank you bmxmama!
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, loosely packed finely chopped or 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley or 1⁄2 cup chives or 1⁄2 cup mint, finely chopped
- 24 ounces fresh spinach or 24 ounces tomato basil fettuccine, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cream, butter, salt, nutmeg and cayenne in heavy saucepan and simmer (do not boil) for 15 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Whisk in cheese and herbs and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately over hot cooked pasta.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Note: A spinach fettuccine is particularly attractive served with this white cream sauce and garnish with fresh red tomato sauces, colors of the Italian flag.