1/10 Photos of Cheese Enchiladas W/Sour Cream Sauce
Mark H.'s Note:
This is an enchilada dish I made for my grandparents when they came to visit us several years ago. They still rave about it. I have made it quite a few times since. The sour cream sauce is always a big hit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 32 ounces light sour cream or 32 ounces single cream
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies (sometimes I substitute chopped jalapenos for 1 can of chiles)
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Combine sour cream, soup, and chilis (and/or jalapenos) in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- 3When sauce is well heated, set aside.
- 4Tortillas (step 1): Completely, but lightly cover both sides of one tortilla with shortening (Don't be afraid to use your hands), then place the tortilla on a microwave-safe plate.
- 5Tortillas (step 2): Completely but lightly cover one side of the next tortilla and place it atop the first tortilla, shortening side up.
- 6Repeat Step 2 until all tortillas are stacked, then microwave the entire stack on high for 4-5 minutes.
- 7Allow to cool.
- 8Combine shredded cheese and chopped onion in a bowl and gently mix together using your hands.
- 9Lightly cover the bottom of a baking dish with some of the sauce (This will prevent the tortillas from becoming stiff and chewy as they cook).
- 10Place a generous portion of the cheese/onion mixture onto a tortilla, then roll the tortilla like a cigar (not too tight though).
- 11Place into the baking dish, seam side down to prevent the enchilada from unrolling.
- 12Repeat until all tortillas have been stuffed, rolled, and placed into the baking dish (it may take more than one baking dish for 20 enchiladas).
- 13Cover the enchiladas with the sour cream sauce and any leftover cheese/onion stuffing.
- 14Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, depending on your oven.
- 15Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Enchiladas W/Sour Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.7
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 78.8 mg
- Sodium 917.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 20.1 g