Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Filled with Mexican Queso Blanco (a firm-textured mild fresh cheese) and slathered in red chile sauce (or "gravy," as they say in Texas), these are delicious and easy to make. Recipe from Ladies Home Journal.
Red Chile Sauce or Gravy
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (2 ounce) package ancho chilies
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped serrano chili (or jalapeno chile)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup brewed coffee
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon masa harina
- 8 soft corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups shredded queso blanco cheese (or Monterey Jack cheese)
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced white onion (optional)
- Make gravy:.
- Toast cumin in a large skillet over low heat, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Transfer to cup; set aside. Add ancho chiles to skillet and heat over low heat until chiles become pliable and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and cover with hot tap water; let stand 15 minutes, until very soft. Drain liquid from chiles. Discard stems and seeds; chop chiles.
- Heat oil in a small Dutch oven or medium saucepan over medium heat. Add cumin with onions, garlic, serrano and oregano and cook until vegetables soften, 5 minutes. Stir in chopped ancho chiles, broth, coffee and salt. Bring mixture to boil; sprinkle in masa harina. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer mixture, partially covered, 1 hour. Transfer mixture to blender and puree. Return gravy to Dutch oven and keep warm on low heat. Makes 3 cups. (Can be made ahead. Cool. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Reheat in a saucepan to a simmer.).
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wrap warm tortillas in foil. Spoon 1 cup warm gravy into the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish. Place 1/4 cup cheese in center of one warm tortilla and roll up (keep remaining tortillas wrapped). Place enchilada seam side down in prepared dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and cheese. Pour remaining 2 cups gravy over enchiladas. Cover dish with foil and bake until cheese has melted and gravy is hot, about 15 minutes. Garnish top with onion, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Makes 4 servings.
- NOTE: Time does not include standing time.