Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Awesome and easy cheese enchilada recipe. Tip: I struggled the first time I made these, and a few of my tortillas fell apart. If your first time is for a dinner party or gathering, be sure to buy extra tortillas just in case!!! :)
- 1 lb mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 10 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1⁄3 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups enchilada sauce, heated
- sour cream (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- You will need some tongs and a plate or tray to assemble your enchiladas.
- Using tongs, dip two corn tortillas at a time into the hot oil. When the tortillas start to bubble, lift and dip them into the oil 3 times fairly quickly.
- The goal here is to make the tortillas soft. If the tortillas are left in the oil too long they will get hard and be difficult to roll. If that happens just toss them out and start over.
- After dipping in the oil, dip the tortillas into hot enchilada sauce to coat. Now put the tortillas on a plate to cool one minute.
- Add a handfull of the grated cheese and sprinkle some onion down the center of one tortilla and roll it. Do this by grabbing one end of the tortilla and bringing it 3/4 of the way over to the other end. Tuck and roll the tortilla.
- Pick up the cheese enchilada with your fore fingers on the botton where the seam is. Let your pinky fingers cover the ends of the enchilada to keep the cheese from falling out while you move it to an oven proof dish.
- Using a ladle, pour hot enchilada sauce over the top of the cheese enchiladas and let plenty of sauce run down the sides. Sprinkle more cheese and onion on top in the desired amount.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place your enchiladas in the oven. Heat the cheese enchiladas until they look somewhat flat and the sauce is bubbling. This will take 15 minutes or more. Remember, you want to make sure the cheese inside the enchilada is melted.
This sounds great. However, instead of the hassle of step 7, after dipping tortillas into the sauce put into the dish your are going to put into oven. Add the cheese, etc. saves a lot of problems.