1/1 Photo of Cheese Enchiladas
4 hrs 20 mins
Chef on the coast's Note:
This recipe came from a good family friend in AZ. My family likes the simplicity of it and the fact that meats/beans can be added if we like. This recipe freezes well. I usually make the sauce in the morning and let it simmer for about 5 hours. A side note - for the sauce - the cheese does not go IN the sauce. :) Someone had asked about that.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1Enchilada Sauce:.
- 2Put shortening and flour in pan; add tomato sauce and water. Mix and cook until thickened. Add other sauce ingredients. Cheese is not a sauce ingredient. The computer just lumps all the ingredients together. Cook, the longer the better.
- 3Homemade Tortillas:.
- 4In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- 5Stir in water and oil. (This can be done in a mixer and turns out very well.) Turn dough onto counter and knead for 2-3 minutes until it is smooth and has no lumps.
- 6Return dough to bowl, cover with damp cloth or wet paper towel and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove from bowl and divide into 10 pieces. Leave pieces on counter and cover again with a damp cloth for about 10 minutes. Roll out each piece of dough into an 8 inch round. Cook torillas on griddle. Makes 10.
- 7*These tortillas come out thicker than the store bought variety. Just add more water and roll them out thinner to make them more like store bought ones.
- 8Put some sauce in bottom of 9x13 pan.
- 9Spread some sauce peanut butter style on each tortilla.
- 10Place about 2 TBSP cheese on each tortilla. Roll up.
- 11Place seam side down in pan.
- 12Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees until cheese melts and enchiladas are hot, about 20 minutes.
- 13Serve with olives, lettuce and sour cream if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.4
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 32.8 mg
- Sodium 714.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 13.1 g