Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From BHG. A slow-cooker chowder.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 (19 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- Add the black beans, tomatoes, frozen corn, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper to a 4 quart slow-cooker; stir to combine.
- In a mixing bowl, add the enchilada sauce and cream soup; whisk together.
- Gradually whisk in the milk until mixture is smooth.
- Pour over vegetables in slow-cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat for 6-8 hours.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Ladle hot soup into individual serving bowls and top with sour cream, guacamole and broken tortilla chips if desired.
This was SOOO good! I used cheddar cheese soup instead of cream of chicke (to make vegetarian) and used a poblano pepper instead of bell. It was really good, but I felt like it was missing just a little something...I added just a dash of Hidden Valley Ranch Fiesta Ranch seasoning packet and that made it perfect! Not to mention it was SUPER easy!
This made a very tasty soup- one we'll be making again! I made this in the slow cooker and added chicken breasts which I shredded before serving.
I substituted fresh diced tomatoes for the canned and I used 2 ten ounce cans of mild green enchilada sauce. Even with these changes, my picky family really liked this. Perfect for a cold, dreary, rainy fall day. I loved that I could throw everything in the crock pot in the morning, and dinner was ready when I came home. The house smelled terrific too!