Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I make these all the time as appetizers or to accompany a salad. Make plenty, one is never enough! I don't really measure the ingredients. I make these with the "eyeball it" method.
- 10 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons onions, grated
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- red wine vinegar, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 loaves French baguettes, sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium pan, fry bacon pieces until crisp. Drain. Set aside.
- Combine mayo and butter.
- Stir in cheese, onion and cayenne. Blend well.
- Add bacon, stir.
- Spread mixture on bread slices. Put slices on a buttered baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- While bread is baking, combine tomatoes with basil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- When bread is out of the oven, top with the tomato mixture.
- Serve hot.