Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My dog loved these, I took a taste too since it was human ingredients and they werent bad (a little on the dry side but my dog didnt think so) I imagine you could make them without the bread machine if you simply keaded the dough, let it rise and knead again just like youd do for bread.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup grated cheese (I use cheddar)
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup bacon fat
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Put in bread machine on dough cycle, when done knead 3 minutes and roll out on a floured curface 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut as desired in strips or shapes.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until crisp.
- Best left in the oven afterwards for the night to cool, crispen and eliminate and moisture.
WOOF WOOF WOOF!!! This is all I heard from my dogs when I walked away from there kennel with the bag of goodies I had made for them. It was so easy to do, and to think how much I usually spend on treats for them! Sheesh! Never again! Thanks!
I also needed to add more flour. I also added 1/2 cup oatmeal and a tbsp or so of wheat germ..this is my two dogs favorite recipe so far. they love cheese and bacon...sometimes I make it with the bacon too and not just the fat.they love it !!!
The food processor works fine; you can even grate the cheese in one operation. I added 1 carrot, 1 apple, about 1/2 c. wheat germ and deleted the garlic. The recipe is very adaptable to your whims. Blitzie LOVES these. They are his super-special treat, even though I make other yummies for him.