Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
When my SIL told me about this recipe I was very skeptical - I'm not a big mayonnaise fan and the thought of hot mayonnaise just wanted to make me "retch" (I know I probably shouldn't say that when describing a recipe, but it just sounded plain nasty. I decided to be a mature adult and at least try it (holding my nose the whole time). Well - let me tell you something. You could have knocked me over with a feather and they had to knock me away from the dish in order for other people to get some. This is delicious. My favorite part is after all the inside has been eaten you put it back in the oven to let the bread crisp up some more and then just start tearing chunks of bread off & eating it. It is divine. This is so easy and people will think you are a gourmet chef. Pict-Sweet Seasoning Blend is frozen chopped onions, celery, red and green pepper mixture found in the frozen vegetable section. The stores in my area usually have the Hawaiian bread in the deli section of the store.
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Slice off a small piece of the top of the Hawaiian Bread making sure you leave at least a good 1-2" border around the top.
- Scoop out the inside of the bread leaving a shell (not too thin) but be sure not to tear through the sides or bottom.
- Discard the scooped out bread (or eat- it is very good).
- Combine all remaining ingredients and carefully spoon into hollowed out bread.
- Bake for 2 hours, watching to make sure the bread doesn't burn if your oven runs hot.
- Serve hot with your choice of crackers.