Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
LOVE cheese danish! Wonderful things to have around when unexpected (or expected) folks come a calling. Stashing for use sometime this holiday season. Found this in The New York Times. An old Hungarian recipe for Hanukkah adapted from Mindel Appel. *** Note - this dough needs an overnight rest time so plan ahead****
For the dough
- 14.79 ml yeast
- 78.07 ml milk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour, sifted
For the filling
- 340.19 g farmer cheese
- 78.07 ml sour cream
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml flour
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest of
- flour, for dusting
- 1 large egg (mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- For the dough: In bowl of an electric mixer, combine yeast and milk and allow to sit for a few minutes. Stir in eggs, butter, sour cream, sugar, salt and flour. Mix well until dough turns into a ball. Transfer to a covered container and allow to rest for 30 minutes, then refrigerate overnight.
- For the filling: In bowl of an electric mixer, combine farmer’s cheese, sour cream, sugar, flour, vanilla, egg yolk and lemon zest. Mix well. Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate until needed, up to 24 hours.
- For assembly: Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll out dough into a rectangle 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 4-by-4-inch squares. Spoon about 1 tablespoon filling into center of each square. Pick up corners of each square and press points together.
- Arrange pastries on baking sheets about 1½ inches apart. Brush with egg mixture. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool and serve as is or sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.