Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
LOVE cheese danish! Wonderful things to have around when unexpected (or expected) folks come a calling. Stashing for use sometime this holiday season. Found this in The New York Times. An old Hungarian recipe for Hanukkah adapted from Mindel Appel. *** Note - this dough needs an overnight rest time so plan ahead****
For the dough
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄3 cup milk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
For the filling
- 12 ounces farmer cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest of
- flour, for dusting
- 1 large egg (mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- For the dough: In bowl of an electric mixer, combine yeast and milk and allow to sit for a few minutes. Stir in eggs, butter, sour cream, sugar, salt and flour. Mix well until dough turns into a ball. Transfer to a covered container and allow to rest for 30 minutes, then refrigerate overnight.
- For the filling: In bowl of an electric mixer, combine farmer’s cheese, sour cream, sugar, flour, vanilla, egg yolk and lemon zest. Mix well. Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate until needed, up to 24 hours.
- For assembly: Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll out dough into a rectangle 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 4-by-4-inch squares. Spoon about 1 tablespoon filling into center of each square. Pick up corners of each square and press points together.
- Arrange pastries on baking sheets about 1½ inches apart. Brush with egg mixture. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool and serve as is or sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.