Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tribute to the universally favored cheese danish--hopefully with less fat and calories:) These are really fabulous if drizzled with a simple lemon glaze (some powdered sugar and lemon juice).
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Have ready 12 greased or paper-lined standard-size muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, 2 Tbsp.
- sugar, and lemon juice until fluffy; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg lightly with a fork; add the milk, melted butter, and lemon zest.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the egg mixture just until combined; do not overmix.
- Fill the muffin cups 1/2 full; place 1 Tbsp.
- of the cheese mixture in the center of each cup.
- Cover with remaining batter; bake for 20 minutes, until tops are lightly golden and a toothpick tests out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in the tins before inverting onto wire racks.
- Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with a lemon glaze, if desired; serve warm or cool.
- Store covered in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.
I was a little disappointed with this recipe, though they were still pretty good. The muffins themselves didn't have as much filling as I would have hoped, and I was only able to get about half a tablespoon, if that, of filling into each muffin, so it didn't contribute too much to the taste of the muffin as a whole. I also found that if you put the filling too close to the top (oops), some of it peeks out the top of the muffin as they cook. I dusted with powdered sugar when these came out of the oven. I'm giving this recipe four starts because, though not as good as I'd hoped, I don't dislike these and they did bake up 12 big, full, beautifully-shaped muffins. Next time I might try doubling the filling mixture.