Recipe by yogi
If you love cheese danish, this is the bread for you! Sweet cheese filling is rolled into a slightly sweet bread and then drizzled with icing. Got this from a magazine years ago.
Top Review by Big E's Chef
Don't know why I waited so long to write a review, I have baked this so many times, never a problem, always a rave review from my family and friends! I also use a bread machine, so easy , so good.
- 2 1⁄4-2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 package yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
powdered sugar icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together 1 C flour and yeast in large bowl.
- In a saucepan, heat& stir sour cream, 1/4 C sugar, water, butter and salt till just warm and butter almost melts.
- Add sour cream to dry mixture along with the egg.
- Beat with electric mixer on low to med.
- 30 seconds, then on high for 3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl often.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead in enough of remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that's smooth and elastic.
- Shape into a ball and place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease surface.
- Cover and let rise till doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto floured surface.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- For filling: Stir cream cheese, 1/3 C sugar and vanilla together in small bowl and set aside.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Roll dough on floured surface into a 14"x10" rectangle.
- Spread filling over dough to 1/2" from edges.
- Roll up, jelly roll style, starting from a long side.
- Seal seam and place seam side down on prepared sheet.
- Make 1/4 inch cuts across top of loaf at 2" intervals.
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or till golden.
- Cover with foil for last 15 minutes of baking if it seems to be getting too brown.
- Cool slightly on wire rack.
- Mix powdered sugar, 1 T milk and vanilla for icing till smooth.
- Drizzle this over the loaf.
- Nice served warm.