Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Try this wonderful alternative to garlic bread with your next spaghetti dinner. It is similar to cheese focaccia. The recipe is from Pillsbury's Best of the Bake-Off Cookbook. Just recently I made it using the Chipotle-Herb Butter from Grilled Salmon With Chipotle-Herb Butter and it was awesome too. Lots of possiblities if you use your imagination.
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
- In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast; mix well.
- In 2-cup glass measuring cup, combine milk, water and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Microwave just until water is very warm (120 to 130°F) (not much more than a minute should do it).
- Add warm liquid to flour mixture; mix well.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 to 1 cup flour to form a stiff dough.
- On lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in greased bowl and cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and put a cloth towel over that.
- Let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake or pie pans.
- Divide dough in half; pressing each half in greased pan.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients, mixing well.
- Spread mixture over dough.
- Prick tops generously with a fork.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Cover again as above and let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°F Uncover dough and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
AWESOME bread that goes great with soup or stew! The amount of salt for the bread dough is not listed, so I used 1/2 teaspoon. The topping is really yummy. I tweaked the seasoning amounts and used a mix of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Next time DH would like me to include sliced jalapenos with the melted cheeses. Another reviewer suggests dipping the bread in pizza sauce. What a great idea! With lots of room for creativity, I can tell already that I'll be making this recipe often. Thanks so much for sharing it!
The bread turned out very nice and soft. Kids loved it. So easy to do. Thanks for the recipe.